Sunday, August 8, 2010

Another Sunday Morning

I like Sundays. I like being off work on Sundays but I don't mind working on Sundays either. Sunday is just a great day. This is probably true because people are just more laid back on Sunday, period. You know I just don't know but that's what it seems like.

 This Sunday morning is cool and Sunny; a great weather morning. I've been up since 05:45 when I turned on the coffee-maker. Truth...I went back to bed but didn't fall back to sleep. I listened to the BBC until 10:00 GMT (06:00 local) and finally climbed out of bed for good. The coffee was great. Added a little heavy cream and it was good to go.

I read the Times. There wasn't really a lot of things to interest me this morning but I did skim most of the features and read a few things of interest. As usual it led me to read a few more things and now I'm thinking about what to do with the rest of the day.

So, more later....

Now, just a little more. Linda and I went off on a nice, leisurely drive down Rt. 8 for a visit to McGlasson Family Farm to get another supply of peaches. I think I've bought a bushel of them over the past week and a half. Unlike apples you have to buy peaches in small lots and eat them quickly before they spoil. These peaches aren't like the grocery store varieties because they were picked off the trees and placed on the stand for sale within 24hrs. They are incredibly sweet. Why you would even want to put sugar on them I don't know. I wanted to buy some fresh, ripe Gala apples but Linda wouldn't let me buy any more apples until  I finish the Paula Reds I already have in the 'fridge. I did buy one, though, and ate it on the drive home. We also bought some slicing tomatoes; ours just haven't ripened despite the work we put into them.

We left McGlasson's and did a little exploring. We drove out Rt.8 until it dead-ends with a small enclave of homes. I guess it's about another 5 miles or so. There's quite a lot of interesting properties as you meander catching glimpses of the mighty Ohio through the trees.

Lunch was tomatoes, basel, mozzarella, and avocado drizzled in balsamic vinegar and EVOO. We're going to have baked curried chicken (pasture raised and locally purchased at the farmers' market) over spaghetti squash. We might have some fresh tomatoes too!

Ciara, Matt and Aiden were off to Lake Norman to "swim with the fishies" so I'm waiting for a full report.

I haven't heard from Aiden and that's disappointing but I did want to post just a bit about dinner. It was fantastic! I guess I should really start keeping track of what I add and don't add and the amounts. All I can say is that I used the clay roaster, cut up the chicken and arranged it nicely in the bottom, added salt, pepper, yellow curry, red pepper powder, cumin and doused it with coconut milk; then, into the oven at 225 for about 2hrs and finished out at 350 for another hour or so. We had roasted spaghetti squash and tomatoes as an accompaniment that was really terrific. We topped it all off with my homemade vanilla almond icecream and peaches. It doesn't get much better.

No comments: