Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sunburn

Linda and I were up early for a busy day at 10553.

We started things out by meeting with Kevin to finalize plans for the kitchen remodel. That went well and I think we finally have a plan that Linda and I both can agree on. The best part is that we don't have to buy any more kitchen cabinets. We do, however, have to get a stove/oven before we go any further. That's a tall order because there are just so many choices out there. We know we're going to go with some kind of a "slide-in" but we need to determine which one. The cost ranges from 1,000.00 to 3,000.00 depending on the manufacturer and what toys you want to include. Then, of course, you have to figure out whether you want gas or electric and if you go with gas do you want an electric oven and do you want an convection oven too. And then you have to consider the manufacturer, i.e., do you go with Jenn-Air or Kenmore or GE or Bosch or Kenmore Elite or GE Profile or Electrolux. Let's see, let me count the ways.....

Then we went to Jared, oh my, that sounds just like the commercial! But we did to buy Sam's Graduation gift (yes, Samantha, if you read this, it will come in the mail) and pick-up something for Linda. No, Mark, you couldn't help us with this purchase (I wish you could).

Then it was off to the "man store" to pick up some things for hoses and the garden.

Then it was off to the races. We edged the bed at the back of the yard and spread mulch in order to make it more amenable to the "rider" so we don't have to edge with the pusher or trimmer. That actually worked out pretty good. Then we got all the hoses out and got a system together for watering everything that looks like its going to work out pretty well. I'm amazed at how much the plants have grown in the vegetable bed since Wednesday.

Now, back to that sunburn thing, the sun was out, the skies were clear and the temperature got into the mid 80's. It was about as perfect a Saturday as you could have. But...my lily white skin (and Linda's) was not properly prepared and I've now got this bright red sheen on my back, shoulders and neck. Surprisingly my naked head is relatively unscathed. I feel the heat but not the burn, yet, I'm sure that will come soon enough. As I type this I'm enjoying a cocktail (gin), listening to Elton John on XM and contemplating getting the grill going. Obviously things are moving kind of slow. Linda's surfing on the web looking for a stove. She too is enjoying a beverage of choice (rum and zero).

Hopefully I'll get that run in tomorrow.

Molly's in Charlotte visiting Buzzy (and Ciara and Matt) but she really went to see Buzzy!

Ciara called yesterday morning and said that her and Molly were at the National Whitewater Center and preparing to venture onto the "zip" line. You have to see this place. It's amazing and so cool. Linda and I have only been there during inclement weather so I can't wait to get there on a nice day. Two weeks ago when I was there it started pouring rain so Matt and I went to lunch at the bistro they have there and what was a busted day ended up being a lot of fun. Now back to that "zip" line thing. It's about 1000 feet long and goes right over the rapids. Ciara said it was worth "every penny" and she can't wait to do it again. I think it cost $10.00. I do know that you can get an "all day" pass for $49.00. That includes rafting, kayaking, climbing or whatever. It's just an incredible place if your interested in outdoor type activities: mountain biking, trail running, kayaking, you name it. Men and women from all over the world come to train for Olympic competition.

Well I guess I need to get cooking dinner. I wonder what Buzzy's doing?

No comments: