Monday, June 22, 2009

Weekend Wrap-up

I had a great Father's Day weekend!

Let me start by getting up to date with the running aspects of things. Tuesday I went into work around 08:00 to assist with the production of a video highlighting the eICU. I left after that was finished and came home. In the afternoon Linda and I went out to EI for an hour's run. The trails were in fair shape; muddy in the low-lying areas but otherwise OK. Wednesday I had Education Council at work and got home around lunch-time. Again, we went out to EI but the trails were very muddy. It was hot and very humid. I enjoyed the run but it was only an hour or so.

Worked all day on Thursday and Friday. Despite my best intensions I just couldn't get it together to run even my short 3 mile loop after work. I was just not into it!

It took Linda and I a long time to get moving on Saturday. Neither one of us were much into doing anything. We finally decided to cut the grass and finish up some other yardwork. I guess we finished a little before lunch. It was hot with some pretty intense sunshine but there was a nice breeze. I decided to go for a run. That was a mistake. Nothing like wind, sun and heat to smack you down. My ordinary 8 mile loop turned into a death march. I had plenty of water. There was a nice breeze so it didn't feel all that hot but I just felt terrible. Ended up walking most of the last 1.5 miles. To cap things off I was really dehydrated. It seemed that I couldn't drink enough to get rehydrated. Looking back on it I suspect it was the wind, heat, sun combo that did me in.

We went to Linda's cousin's daughter's wedding that evening. (Say that three times!) It was at the Bell Event Center in Over the Rhine. A very nice place. Everything was very well done and the food and drink was excellent. However, that dehydration thing came back in the form of a vice like headache as the evening progressed. No one had any aspirin so I didn't really get any relief until we got home. Again, I couldn't drink enough water to take care of things.

Father's day was a nice easy and relaxing day. Ian and Ciara called early and Colin came to the house mid-afternoon and stayed for dinner. Linda gave me a great coffee mug and gift certificate to Borders.

Ran this morning for 2 hrs. Overcast, hot and humid but there was a cooling breeze and I felt good. It was nice to get some quality miles in without feeling horrible like Saturday.

No comments: